a collection of recipes from the green cottage design studio

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Avocado Chicken Salad

Another Pinterest find of mine was this Avocado Chicken Salad.  Tonight, inspired by that recipe, I made up a slightly different version for my lunch tomorrow at work.  Apparently, and very unfortunately for me, small town, Midwest IGAs do not have cilantro.  I was not about to go to a second grocery store after work the other night, so that was my first variation away from the original.  Secondly, I added a hard boiled egg.  It turned out really well and I'm looking forward to my lunch tomorrow.  I'm also looking forward to adding cilantro next time!  I love that only a tiny bit of mayo is needed.  Before adding the mayo, the chicken salad was a bit dry; but because the avocado is so creamy, it really only needs a bit of mayo.  I actually used a smidge too much tonight and will cut back a bit next time.  The original recipe calls for about 2 cups of chicken for 1 avocado, but I only had about 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken and I still used 1 whole avocado.  But I love avocado.


Ingredients:
1 avocado
1 green onion, finely sliced
(cilantro, chopped)
1/2 cup shredded chicken
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
juice of 1/2 of 1 lime
salt to taste


Directions:
Slice and peel the avocado; coarsely mash.  Mix in chopped egg and salt to taste.  Add shredded chicken and green onion (this would be the point I'd add my cilantro); mix well.  Add mayonnaise until you reach a desirable consistency.  Squeeze lime juice over salad and mix.  Serve with crackers or on a bed of lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails